Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 4: Energy, Matter and the Four Forces

How has e=mc2 affected me?

Not as much as I realize yet...I never made that conscious connection, the implications of that well-known equation that I learned back in high school, with what I've been learning the last number of years, that our physical beings are actually made of light and energy. Still working on wrapping my mind around that one...


How would I compare the four "forces"?

gravity, weak nuclear force, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force.
weak, strong (but sluggish), stronger, strongest.
observable, esoteric/out there, somewhat observable, way out there (although it is actually way in there).
but all appear to be perfectly balanced...


What is the function of gravity?

To keep us grounded - literally. Keeps us from floating off into the ether. Gives us a home base to explore from. And keeps us in check. Also allows matter to clump together, enabling stars to be born.


And some random thoughts from class
...

Regarding the discussion of fermions, and how our feet and the floor are essentially empty space...but the floor pushes back against our feet...made me wonder if something like that is being harnessed when the old masters easily throw off the younger students with barely a shrug.

And from a few weeks ago: is Qi a wave...or a particle?

No comments:

Post a Comment