Would I support the development of a "bionic" person?
First off, I believe that any such decisions are beyond my control, and that it is largely irrelevant what my individual opinions on any such matter are. Secondly, I think increased demand for continuing augmentation of our physical and mental capabilities is inevitable - again, regardless of what I think. I think we already see it frequently in our world - pacemakers, artificial knees and hips, Lasik surgery, dental implants, even steroids and HGH in the physical realm, while substances like vitamins, minerals, herbs, and pharmaceuticals such as Ritalin to improve the cognitive aspect. We seem to be fond of anything that gains us an edge. While perhaps none of these really seem like true "bionic" advances, I would think they are on the spectrum.
Would I support it? I think we need to encourage every person to make the best possible choices they can, to honor that responsibility in each of us, regardless of what I as an individual agree or disagree with. (Sorry for the long, rambling, and roundabout answer...guess I'm trying to say that I can't generally say one way or another - I would think it really depends on context.)
How would I rate "the control of artificial limbs by thought alone"?
Pretty rad - if kind of creepy. But what a godsend it must be for people who are disabled, or even those paralyzed if one day we can reboot that connectivity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment