Monday, January 25, 2010

Week 2: Quantum Mechanics

My Reflections on Uncertainty

I am pretty certain that there is a lot of uncertainty! Or wait, does it only seem so to me, and I just can't know what is beyond the facade and underneath the unknown?

Whenever I have thought I was convinced of something in the past, it eventually changed. Even the things I now hold true, even after all this awareness of the changing nature of things, are liable to change. So now I try to keep more of an open mind and be less sure of things...that much I do know!

Some things we just can't know - so yes, I believe there is lots of uncertainty in our world!


My Comments on Causality
Sometimes (always? again, that whole uncertainty thing!) things are brought about by other things, especially in the physical world. Things might seem random, but they don't spontaneously arise out of nothing. One thing causes another...

But perhaps on a quantum level, things can arise out of nothing, there doesn't seem to need to be a linear cause and effect. But in the physical world I can't think of anything off of the top of my head that is not due to some cause, even if an unknown one...hmmm


Is the Universe weird?

If one is in Portland, Oregon, then yes, absolutely. And if you don't believe me, all you have to do is glance at all those bumper stickers that proclaim, "Keep Portland Weird!" Rock on Universe.

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute! Are you saying that Portland is the universe? Or is it just one weird corner of the not-so-weird universe. Or is it one of several weird corners in a kinda-sorta weird universe? Or are you saying that the universe is definitely weird and since Portland is in it, it must therefore be weird? :)

    ReplyDelete